The twenty fourth day of Advent

Cat in the Hat was jealous that the boys got to eat candy canes last night so he went into the box and got as many candy canes as he could so he could eat them also.  The boys liked waking up in the morning and also having another candy cane because the cat in the Hat hadn't eaten them all so they could eat another one that morning.
 It seems strange to me that over here in Taiwan today is just a normal day.  Christmas over in Taiwan isn't a holiday, most businesses are open and so are the schools.  Little N went to school today on Christmas Eve because we don't really have a tradition of doing anything during the day as a family in preparation for Christmas.  We mostly do stuff in the evening time on Christmas Eve.  However we did decide that we were pulling him out of school on Christmas day and the next day so we could spend time together as a family. Today was definitely a tough day for me because I was remembering all my holiday traditions that I did with my family.  My dad would go shopping on Christmas Eve and find his gifts then bring them to me so that I could wrap them up and place them under the tree for my mom.  Then on Christmas Eve night we would get together with all of my dad's family to hang out as a family - playing games, eating, doing a white elephant gift.  It was always a time of fun and I always looked forward to that time.  My grandma would make rice cream and we would eat it.  So I've tried to take some of my favorite traditions and bring them into my family traditions.

After picking up Little N from school we went to Big City (a mall) so that the kids could pick up some Christmas presents for one another and for their dad.  I also wanted to get some stuff for the kids to fill their stockings.  It was kind of a nod to my dad shopping the day before Christmas however it was hard because the boys wanted to buy stuff for themselves and not for others.  Still got to work on that.  Stephanie gave the boys and Little H a present that they could open on Christmas Eve so the boys were very excited to open up their present.  Little H got her first little shopping cart perfect for walking all over the place with, Little M got an ambulance and Little N got a building set.  Perfect gifts for all the kids.
We got home and we had to get ready for the Christmas Eve Candle Light Service.  This is one of my favorite traditions as a family and was actually our activity for today.  Getting together as a community of believers to sing songs and read scripture. This year I let Little N hold his candle and be responsible for it.  I was a little nervous but he was very careful and good the whole time.  Little M had his candle and then got antsy so we blew his out.  I kept mine for a little bit before Little H decided that it was time for her to try and touch the pretty light, which was when we blew out my candle.  It was a beautiful was to prepare for the birth of Jesus on Christmas day.
When we got home from Church we got the kids ready for bed and then I set out to make my rice pudding so that I could enjoy my hot rice pudding on Christmas eve and my rice cream on Christmas Day.  Yummy! Wrapping Christmas presents and eating rice pudding was the perfect way to end my day.
Our Scripture verse for today was - Luke 2:6 & 7 – While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn.                     

Comments

Popular Posts