Tuesday, May 31, 2011

My last Chinese class!!

     Two weeks after we first arrived in Taiwan some people told me that there was a free Chinese class at the Foreigners assistance building!  We looked into and decided to sign me up for classes.  It was an 8 weeks class meeting for 1 1/2 hours.  The first two weeks I brought my little boys....the people that worked in the building and my teacher loved them....however it was slightly distracting so John volunteered to watch the kids on Tuesday while I went to Chinese class.  I kept on getting questions of where the kids were so I figured on my last class I would bring the boys with me. 
     I told my teacher that I'd be bringing them but then SHE surprised me telling me that we were gonna go out to eat because she wanted me to order a meal.  Now the thing about learning a language is that there is SO much to learn so I just wanted to learn how to speak.  I figured later on I can learn how to read and write.  However what she wanted me to do was very difficult because she wanted me to read a menu....so many choices and so many different characters to figure out.  So we walked to a restaurant and I ordered food that I thought Little N, Little M and myself would eat.
     However sadly we got hit with the foreigners tax.  A foreigner's tax is what one of our friends says is when something sounds good but when you get it turns out that it's not that good.  I was told that it was beef noodle stir fry.  However when we got it Little N and Little M ate some of it and then had to stop because it was SO spicy!!  I had a hard time with it also because it was so spicy!!  I was slightly annoyed because I spent money and just couldn't finish the meal!!  My teacher was annoyed because I didn't do anything -- no speaking, no reading or writing.  So I told her that we would go to another restaurant and I would order a mango ice.....which was great however she had to teach me how to say two seconds before I placed my order.....so really not helpful and very stressful because I had to keep track of my kids plus try to remember how to order what I wanted it just wasn't a helpful lesson.
    8 weeks of lesson doesn't make a person fluent especially when you have so much to learn -- tones, new sounds, & not being able to read easily......makes for an overwhelming time!!  I'm glad that I spent 8 weeks learning Chinese and I look forward to learning more Chinese later on.  For now I'm learning Chinese with Little N & Little M through Dora, Diego and Super Why!  I'll start again with formal language learning in the fall!!
 My Chinese Teacher with Little N!!
 Mango Ice (with pineapple & I think coconut milk) HUGE portion and no one to share it with -- both Little N & M were gun shy from the spicy noodles!!
My cuties!!  It was a stressful day but I love these guys!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to our blog! We try to keep this current for family and friends. We moved to Taiwan in February 2011 and are trying to keep in contact with loved ones through this blog. We love comments and will respond back if you have questions or comments!! Thanks for checking us out!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...