The most delicious Shortbread caramel brownies

So we bought some brownie mixes from Costco -- yeah we probably go to Costco a little bit too much but we can always find what we need like brownie mix, American style Doritos -- John really likes that, etc.

Anyways we were having friends over and I wanted to make brownies but I didn't want it to be to chocolaty and John had brought back from the states some caramel chips!  So I was looking for recipes to use with caramel chips. 

Anyways I finally found a recipe that called for a shortbread crust & pecans at the Ghirardelli website.  But I decided to tweak it!

Delicious Shortbread Caramel Brownies

Shortbread Crust:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup powdered sugar
2 sticks (1 cup) butter or margarine, softened


Caramel Filling
1 package of caramel bites (Kraft)
1 tbs of water

Brownie:
1, 20 oz  package or 1 pouch Brownie Mix
1 egg
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 or 2 handfuls of caramel chips

Preheat oven to 350°F.

 For Shortbread Crust:
In a bowl, stir together flour, powdered sugar and butter or margarine until dough forms a ball. Press dough evenly into lightly greased 13x9x2-inch pan. Bake 10-12 minutes. Set aside. 

For the Caramel Sauce
Heat on the stove 1/2 a bag (or go hog wild and just throw the whole bag in -- I didn't have the luxury of doing this because I have to save my beautiful caramel chips for another special day) with a 1 tbs if water (or more if you need to) stirring till smooth.  Then pour it over the cooled shortbread crust.  You need to let the caramel sauce cool some before you pour the brownie mix on top of that.....maybe like 10 to 15 minutes.

For Brownie:
In medium bowl, stir your brownie mix, egg, water and oil until moistened (about 40 strokes). Then put in 1 or 2 handfuls of caramel chips in it.  Spoon brownie batter evenly over shortbread crust. Bake 30-35 minutes. Cool thoroughly.
Makes 24 brownies.

I loved this brownie mix and I'll make it again.  John didn't really care for it as much but that's because he would just rather than a brownie.  I on the other hand loved the deliciousness of the shortbread and caramel that I'm not sure I could go back to just a regular brownie again.  (That I make!!)

I only took one picture of this whole process.  I get so side tracked when I'm getting ready for company and then also cooking that I forgot to take pictures of each step.  So you get the picture of what the caramel & shortbread crust look like before the brownie mix goes on it!  Next time I do this I promise to be a better photographer!

Comments

Popular Posts