Meal Plans

I stink at meal planning!!  We like to be spontaneous with our meals….which usually means being clueless about what we are gonna eat by or .  Because of that we usually end up making two different meals and they usually aren’t that healthy either.

My goal is for making some changes in my life.  To de-clutter my life and to organize it.  I’m starting working on getting my house organized and de-cluttered. I’m trying to get our calendars organized so that way we both know what’s going on in our lives and each others lives.  I’m also trying to get our family eating more health and a variety of different meals. Which is why I’m willing to try the meal planning.

This is my first week planning my meals….oh my goodness has pinterest either been a good thing for me or a bad thing.  I’ve gotten some many different yummy ideas that I want to try to make that I made a list of a couple things. 

My menu for today was Bacon wrapped Chicken & Cheese Biscuits.  I found them on Pinterest and then added my own spin to both of them!!

The cheese biscuits were originally supposed to be a cheesy loaf and I just made them into biscuits and had shredded cheese because seriously everything tastes better with cheese and when it’s melted into every thing life is oh so better!!  My kids loved these biscuits….Little N scarfed down I think three of them during dinner.
Cheesy Biscuits
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees

The recipe:
3 cups of flour
1 tbs of baking powder
1 tsp of salt
¼ tsp of cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp of black pepper
5 oz of sharp cheddar cheese shredded
1 ¼ cup of milk
¾ cup of sour cream
3 tbs of butter (melted)
1 egg lightly beaten

The Directions:
Heat oven to 350 degrees
Grease two trays
In a bowl, mix the first 5 ingredients together.
Carefully stir in the shredded cheese so that is covered with the flour mixture.
In a separate bowl, mix the remaining ingredients.
Fold both bowls of ingredients into one another and stir until combined don’t over stir.
Make the buns – if you want them big or small.  I used a large spoon a scooped about I believe 12 biscuits on the two trays, just depends on if you want big or small biscuits.
Bake for 45 to 50 minutes….depending on your oven.  I cook with a miniature convection bake oven and it took maybe 55 minutes.  Just check them and you should be okay.  Let the biscuits cool for 10 minutes  and then remove them from their tray.  Enjoy them warm with lots of yummy butter on top!

For my main meal – we have a lot of cream of mushroom soup that we have to use up before August – people gave them to us and we looked and saw that they expire in August….doesn’t help that right before we got them we had just bought a 8 pack of cream of mushroom soup from Costco.  So I found this recipe that used cream of mushroom soup and then also had bacon.  I also modified this recipe from the original because I pounded my chicken flat (okay so I didn’t but John did) then put ½ a mozzarella string cheese inside and then rolled and wrapped it with bacon.  Verdict was that John told me we could serve this meal to company!  I guess he liked it!  Woo hoo!!  My kids….ehh….they really didn’t want to try it but Little N tried the little tree that was on his plate and called it good!  I’ll take what I can get! J

Bacon wrapped Chicken
Serves 4
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

Ingredients
2 cans of Cream of mushroom soup
salt
pepper
bacon
2 or 4 softened string cheese sticks
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast (thawed)
2 ½ cups of water
1 tbs of butter
2 cups of rice
Freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
Cooking spray
2 tbs of flour
1 cup of water

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350

Combine a can of cream of mushroom soup, butter, and water in a sauce pan and bring it to a boil.  Rinse your rice in some water (then drain as much of the water as you are able to).  Transfer the rice to your casserole pan and pour the boiling sauce over the rice.  Cover your rice and place in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes (or till all the water has been absorbed).

Pound your chicken break (using a meat tenderizer & plastic wrap) till it is flat.  Season both sides with salt & pepper (I also used John’s seasoning salt too) then you can decide if you want to use ½ a cheese stick in the middle of the chicken breast or a full one (your choice – you always need choices).  Add your cheese stick and then fold in the ends of the chicken and then roll the chicken around the cheese stick.  Bacon – I only had 4 pieces of bacon so it was just enough to wrap the chicken breast.  But I’m sure that two slices of bacon per chicken breast would be delicious also! (Can you ever have to much bacon?)  I wrapped my bacon and then stuck the both ends with a tooth pick to make sure the bacon would stay on the chicken breast and the chicken breast would not come undone.

Lightly cover a frying pan with cooking spray.

Place the bacon wrapped chicken in the pan and cook until the bacon is nice and crispy and the chicken is no longer pink.  Remember to put flip the chicken so all the sides are cooked evenly.

Take the chicken out and put it on a paper towel to drain – or I just put mine right on the rice mixture which was fine also.

Take your flour and a cup of water along with your ½ of your other can of cream of mushroom soup and mix till your flour is diluted (then add the rest of your cream of mushroom soup to make a nice sauce) Pour into the hot pan that you cooked your chicken in and stir til your sauce has thickened. 

Place your chicken on top of your rice mixture and then pour the sauce over the chicken and rice mixture.  Top the chicken with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese.  Place back in the oven until the cheese is melted.

Enjoy your meal!!

I served this with broccoli!!  I love some good broccoli (John does not and usually my boys don’t either) but I still serve it!  This time we called them little tree and my oldest ate it!! 

My meal for today was very time consuming but so worth it because we got to eat something different and somewhat healthy and we ate as a family which was the most important thing for me! J



Comments

Popular Posts