January Memory Verse 2014

John and I have talked about memorizing scripture with our kids.  I started two years ago by having each kid have a memory verse for the year.  We talked about the verse and read it occasionally as a family but they didn't really have it memorized.  But I prayed through their memory verse every time I read their memory verse on the blog.  

Last year I picked out memory verses for the year for the kids and again we talked about them but the kids never really memorized.  I decided that I would pray their verses monthly. When the kids started school I started writing memory verses on the whiteboard that I would pray through and say to the kids.  We never really had any of the memory verses or the verses that I wrote on the whiteboard memorized as a family, which was something that really frustrated both John and I because we want the kids to memorize scripture.  We want as a family to be memorizing scripture and because we never really had a plan or idea of what we were going to do it never really happened.

This year on New Years Eve, I decided that I wanted to have 12 memory verses for each month on top of a family memory verse for the year.  I decided to incorporate the kids verse for the year into the 12 memory verses, that way I knew that the kids would at least hear me read their memory verse on their birthday month and memorize them.  I wanted to take baby steps and every day or even once a week have the kids repeat after me or tell me the scripture verse for that month!  John and I would love to attempt to memorize a scripture verse a week but I think we will be doing good if we have 12 verses memorized! Baby steps, I tell myself, baby steps.  My prayer is that we as a family would have hidden in our hearts 12 scripture verses by the end of 2014.  

For the month of January, which is also Little H's birthday month we have her memory verse and the verse that I will be praying over her for the year, 1 John 4:19 - We love because He first loved us. 
Are you memorizing scripture this year?  Are you memorizing scripture with your kids?  What are you doing and how are you doing it? (I would love all the tips I can get!) 

Comments

Popular Posts