Monday, January 31, 2011

The way God works

Our car broke on Wednesday which at the time was VERY stressful.  We had plans that we were gonna do and with our car not working it just gave us an added headache that we didn't think we needed.  But looking back at that it was really God's way of working out some of the prayer concerns that I had.  You see we were planning on driving out to CT.  John was gonna take the moving truck and I was gonna take Little N & Little M in our car and pull our trailer.  I was more than a little nervous about going cross country with two little kids and not having any help (I knew that it would work out just fine but I was just a tiny bit nervous)!  Plus I got no sympathy from my dear sweet husband who when I said that I had to drive the car with two little boys with no help, he replied that he had to drive the moving truck which trumped my need for sympathy (I'm still not sure about which one would have been worse!! Opinions?) So when our car broke down John went to see if it could get repaired and find out how much it would cost.  We only needed our car for 3 and 1/2 weeks so if it was to much to repair than we would just sell it.  We were already planning on selling the car after our time in CT so when we discovered that it would cost more to repair we just thought we would sell it! 
     John was talking with one of his friends about life and just mentioned in passing that our vehicle was in the shop and that it would need some major repairs.  They hung up and once we found out that we needed to find someone to buy the car from us, our friend called us up and asked how much we were selling the car for and that he would buy it from us if we could get it up to Cooperstown.  Thankfully we had AAA and were able to tow it up to Cooperstown for free.  So God provided us with two answers to prayer (just not when we wanted them!) we wanted to sell our car and we got a buyer.  Then I didn't have to drive all the way out to CT with the two little boys.  Praise God!!
      While we were dealing with the car I was also trying to figure out how to get Little M, Little N & myself out to CT PLUS do everything that I wanted to do!!  I wanted to be able to see a couple more friends and be able to say my good byes to my brother in law and sister in law.   But with not having a car to get down to Rochester we just thought that we would have to fly out of Fargo which was so disappointing.  Then John thought that maybe we could take a bus down to Rochester.  Thankfully my in-laws were going down to Minneapolis on Sunday so they were able to drive down to Minneapolis on Saturday and take us down.  I was thankful that I was able to spend some quality time driving to the cities with Linda and that John was able to spend some quality time with Jim.  The other thing that was SO wonderful was that John's brother Ole & his family were able and willing to take us down to Rochester from Minneapolis.  We were also able to get airline tickets to fly out of the Rochester Airport for Monday.
      The airline tickets were also an answer to prayer and just showed that God was in control of everything.  We booked our airline tickets for Wednesday and unfortunately we had 4 layovers and it would take us about 8 hours.  The next morning my mom called up and had been able to get us tickets to come out on Monday with just one layover.  Thankfully we were able to cancel our tickets with no charge and get the flights for Monday.
      When we got to the cities we stopped at the mall of america.  We met up with Ole & Kim (along with their kiddos) and I got to say good bye to some of my mom's siblings as they met us there which was an added bonus.    John and his dad finally got to the Ikea parking lot and called us to meet over there.  Unfortunately we (Linda & I) got to have a  great story when we were in a hurry to meet up with everyone.  We got all mixed up on where we parked so when we went to the parking garage and to the spot where our car was supposed to be it wasn't which caused lots of stress!  Thankfully we discovered that we were in the wrong parking garage and just had to walk through the mall to get to the other garage and to our car.  You have to have at least a couple of stories to share down the road and this was one of them! 
    We unpacked my in laws car and then packed up Ole's car  with 4 little kids and all of our stuff and started our journey down to Rochester.  Kim & I visiting in the minivan and John & Ole visiting in the moving truck.  We got to the house and just sort of relaxed, hung out and ate food. 
John was asked to speak at Sunday school and do scripture and prayer during the service.  It was really funny while John was reading the scripture he said Micah & Little M had been playing with his cars with his back to the podium and he turned and looked to see what his daddy was telling him to do.   After church lots of people were visiting and chatting with us.  Just wishing us best of luck with our move and upcoming adventure (that's what I think life)!   Afterwards we went to lunch with friends which was fun to spend time with everyone.  After that John got ready to leave driving and I put the boys to bed for a nap! :-) QUIET time with Culver's ice cream DELICIOUS!!!  I recommend the Reese's pieces, marshmallow and then adding some peanut butter!! YUM!!!
Ole was nice enough to wake up EARLY to drive us to the airport so we could fly out.  It was a really horrible time 4:30 am was the time I woke up and then 4:45 I woke the kids up so that we could make it to the airport so we could make our flight at 6:00 am!  The Rochester Airport is a small but WONDERFUL airport.  Ole watched the boys while I checked in and then we went through security.  The people helping me we just amazing......making sure I was okay with the boys and that I had everything.  The boys did a great job getting through security.  Our first flight we all fell fast asleep as we flew to Chicago.  We had 30 minutes in Chicago to make from our arrival gate to our departure gate.  A mad rush and we had just enough time to use the bathroom then we were boarding.  We were "lucky" enough to be seated in the LAST row.  The last row is a hard row to sit in.....Little M and Little N are bothered by the loud noises so they cried and were quite upset at times which is very unusual for them when we are traveling.  We got to Hartford no problem and had WONDERFUL help getting the kids into their seats and all the carry on luggage on the stroller.  Mom picked us up and we went to the office to play and hang out while Mom finished work.  We drove home and started making dinner and found out that John was actually beating the storm and all the bad weather!  Woo hoo!!  At 10:15 pm John arrived in CT and we were able to put the moving van where we were gonna unload all the stuff before the bad weather hit the East Coast.   Which is another way that God answers prayer if we had driven our car we would not have made good time because of stopping with the boys and making sure we weren't tired.  Because of that we would have been driving directly into the two storms that hit the East Coast.   God works in mysterious ways but I am thankful that it worked out the way it did

Answers to Prayer
1. Our car needed to be sold! (answered)
2. Driving out to CT with the little boys (never found out because we came out a different way)
3. Plane tickets (from four layovers to 1 layover.....woo hoo!!  Thanks Mom for checking it out!)
4. Flying out on Monday (we beat the storm and weren't stuck in an airport because of weather!)
5. John wasn't driving a moving truck in horrible weather! (praise GOD!!)
 Taking off from Chicago

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to our blog! We try to keep this current for family and friends. We moved to Taiwan in February 2011 and are trying to keep in contact with loved ones through this blog. We love comments and will respond back if you have questions or comments!! Thanks for checking us out!!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...