Where will you be in 5 years

Where will you be in 5 years?  What do you picture yourself doing?  Those are questions that I've gotten in the past.  Before I got married 11 years ago, my goals and plans were very different than what I ever dreamed I would be doing now.

Before I got married my goals were that I would be teaching full time in a elementary school, hopefully I would get married and have children.  I always dreamed that I would be able to live in CT and be close to my friends and family.

In 2002, I packed up my bags and moved to Japan to teach English.  It was very different and almost out of the norm thing for me to do.  I felt that God was calling me to go teach over in Japan.  I went and it turned out to be the most best choice.  I fell in love and got married to my wonderful husband and father to my amazing three kids.  However because of me getting married to John my 5 year plan got pushed out the window and I don't think I ever have had a 5 year plan ever since.

In 2003, John and I got married and packed up my stuff to move out to Fergus Falls, MN so that John could start seminary.  I knew that we wouldn't live in Fergus Falls but it was comforting to know that our base for three years was going to be Fergus Falls.  

2006 was the year that John graduated and we started looking for jobs.  We weren't sure if I was going to find a job teaching or if John would get a call to a church.  So while we waited we went to Grand Forks, ND to try SIL for the summer.  It was a nice time and also a stressful time that summer because we weren't sure what we were going to do.  Our 5 year plan we didn't have.  We didn't even have a 1 year plan.  Thankfully we received a call for John to serve at Zion Lutheran church in Cooperstown, ND.  We had no idea how long we would stay and no five year plan again.  But we started to have our kiddos while we were in North Dakota.  We were so blessed.

2011, we made the decision to move to Taiwan so that John could be an English pastor at Victory church.  This time we knew that we would live in Taiwan for two years.  So I live in two year increments.  We have renewed our contract three times.  So we know for sure that we will live in Taiwan for two more years.  

I can't tell you where we will be in 5 years.  That I have no clue.  I do know that in 5 years though I'm pretty sure that all my kids will be in grade school. N should be in 5th grade, M might be in 3rd grade and H might be in K or 1st grade.    I don't know if I will go back to school to be a teacher or if I will decide to go back to school to take classes more on photography and try to start a career in photography. The nice thing is that I don't need to know where we will be in 5 years.  God knows where we will be in 5 years.  We might still be in Taiwan or we might be back in the US!  I am just going to enjoy the ride that we are on right now.

Do you make 5 year plans?  Do you have goals of where you want to be in 5 years?  What are your goals?  How do you adjust for the unexpected? Do you write those plans down or do you just keep a mental note of where you want to be?

Comments

Popular Posts