Traveling to Austria back in my college days

I have been extremely blessed to have opportunities to travel.  I've had opportunities to just travel that many others might not have had the opportunity.  For that I am blessed.  There are times that I have to remind myself that I should write down my life experiences down not just for my sake but for my kids sake.  I want them to be able to realize that I was more than just their mom.  But that I had dreams and the experiences I had growing up changed me and affected who I am and why I am who I am.  I want to keep my memories alive for my kids and for myself.

The first time I got to travel to Europe was when I was in college.  The company that my dad belongs to offered him the opportunity to travel to Austria.  He was given four spots and I was one of the lucky ones who had the opportunity to go.  I was either a freshman or sophomore in college and I remember going to all my teachers asking permission to go on the trip and asking what my assignments would be so that I could make it up.  I was at the time taking a music class and my music teacher just told me to soak up the culture and the musical culture there in Austria.

I don't remember much about the traveling and how we got around places but I remember walking the streets in Austria and just thinking to myself how blessed I was to be over there.  We had an opportunity to go to a orchestra concert to listen to classical music and I just remember my heart nearly bursting with joy and happiness.  I remember the opportunity of being able to listen to the Vienna Boys Choir, oh my goodness that was just so beautiful to listen to.  Not being able to understand a word of it but getting goose bumps because they did such a fabulous job singing.

We went on the trip before I got a digital camera but I took pictures with a film camera -- they didn't turn out that great but I just remember walking around looking at the beautiful old streets, the beautiful architecture and just the history that was all around.  I remember driving or walking around and being shown where people -- musicians that had lived on the streets where we walked and learning more about their lives and just feeling in awe of the just the beautiful history and the stories of what these people have been through.

The other thing that completely struck me was the statues that were all around Austria.There were some statues that were absolutely stunning and beautiful.  Then there were the beautiful but horribly sad reminders of history.  The evils of our world history and artistic reminders so that no one forgets.  I remember see one statue.  It was a large statue of just many people - limbs and even a mother giving birth but it was all about death and the holocaust.  It was beautiful but horrifying to realize what we as humans are capable of doing.

Being over in Taiwan makes me sad because all my photos and all my stuff is back home in boxes.  So I can't share the AMAZING photos that I took while I was there complete with the great fashion sense that I had as a college student.  Actually my fashion sense really hasn't changed much.  I have no fashion sense and I probably never will.  I wish that I had a couple of pictures to add to this blog post.

I don't know if I ever told my parents thank you for such a beautiful opportunity.  So I figure I would do so now!  Thank you, Mom for traveling with me to see Austria and for giving me the chance to see a different culture. Exposing me to a culture that was very different from where we grew up.  Thank you for putting up with me even though I probably was a bratty college student who wasn't always a good listener and who had a mind of her own on what it was that they should see or now see.  Thank you for putting up with that behavior.  I love you and I'm so thankful for all your love and help you have given me over the years.

Thank you to my dad for giving up your ticket and allowing me to go on the trip instead of you.  Thank you dad for putting up with me.  For the years when I would cry and I would cause you worry and pain.  For the times when I wouldn't obey and felt that I knew better than you.  I appreciate you taking care of me and for loving me.  I appreciate the time that you took to make sure that I had a good work ethic and to make sure to do a good job.  The training that I got a Dalene Flooring has come in handy in all the fields that I have been in since working at the family business.   I know Dad that you will probably not read this but I want you to know that I love you and I appreciate everything you have done for me.  All the sacrifices you and mom did so that you could raise us kids to have a bright future.  I pray that I have made both you and Mom proud.  I love you guys so much!

I am so thankful for the chance to travel and I pray that I will be able to travel to many other places.  I really wish I could go back to Austria and take pictures and just be reminded of the beauty all over again.

Comments

Popular Posts